During pupillage Serena worked on matters in the Employment Tribunal, Employment Appeal Tribunal and High Court, including unfair and constructive dismissal, discrimination, breach of contract, and whistleblowing cases. She drafted the following for members of Chambers:
- A skeleton argument for a preliminary hearing concerning the illegality defence in a worker status case for Oliver Segal QC.
- An advice on merits relating to a jurisdictional argument raised by a qualifications body for Katharine Newton QC.
- An advice on merits and a letter of response relating to a bonus claim for Nadia Motraghi.
- Particulars of claim for a breach of contract claim for Betsan Criddle.
- An advice on a pensions matter for Sarah Keogh.
- An application to intervene in the EAT for Spencer Keen.
- Assisted Jack Mitchell with the production of a list of issues for a race discrimination case.
- A skeleton argument for a four-day whistleblowing case for Jack Mitchell.
- Amended the particulars of claim for a whistleblowing matter for Jack Mitchell.
Serena’s recent instructions include:
- Advised on the merits of an unlawful deductions of wages claim.
- Drafted the particulars of claim for an unlawful deductions of wages claim.
- Represented a claimant in a five-day disability discrimination trial.
- Advised on an employee’s contractual obligations following the termination of his employment.
- Represented two NHS Trusts at Preliminary Hearings.
- Advised on the practical effect of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Self-Isolation) (England) Regulations 2020.
- Advised on the merits of claim for automatic unfair dismissal for a TUPE reason and for asserting a statutory right.
Serena is co-author of the Westlaw Insight articles on: contracts of employment, gratuities and tips, holiday pay, national minimum wage, reinstatement and re-engagement, shop stewards, trade unions, unlawful deductions of wages, wages, and workforce agreements.