There are numerous advantages to using our team. We are uniquely equipped with all of the specialist skills which are essential to ensure a fair process is followed. Our team of barristers possesses vast experience of being able to: quickly identify the relevant issues in any situation; analyse complex facts; test the evidence in a sensitive manner; and produce clear and well-reasoned written reports and decisions. We are recognised by the pre-eminent legal directories for our expertise in employment and industrial relations, a fact which shows our standing in this field, so you can be assured you’ve instructed the right barrister.
In some cases the issue may be particularly sensitive, either because of the seriousness of the issue (e.g. discrimination or whistleblowing), or the seniority of those involved. Whatever the circumstances, we provide an independent and impartial service, offering objective oversight where appropriate.
A well-conducted process involving Old Square Chambers HR Support will allow those participating in the process to believe that they have been given a fair hearing by someone independent of the organisation. This can reduce the risk of subsequent Employment Tribunal proceedings being brought, or disquiet rumbling on after the procedure has ended.
- Have many years of unrivalled, high-level HR experience, gained through appearing in Employment Tribunals. We have particular insight as to the dos and don’ts in handling grievance and disciplinary procedures;
- Possess in-depth understanding of the entire spectrum of employment law and recent developments;
- Have a full understanding of what needs to be done to ensure that a fair process is followed;
- Are skilled in handling difficult and sensitive situations, for example in relation to alleged discrimination and harassment (in respect of all protected characteristics in the Equality Act 2010), whistle-blowing, bullying or victimisation;
- Are reassuringly independent and impartial;
- Are personable and approachable;
- Respect confidentiality at all times.
Our team possesses a combined wealth of experience in conducting workplace investigations, preparing reports and recommendations for grievance and disciplinary panels, and advising or sitting as a member of panels.
A number of the Old Square Chambers HR Support Team sit as part-time fee-paid judges in the Employment Tribunal, act as assessors in professional regulatory hearings, and are accredited mediators.