Christopher has practised in clinical negligence for most of his practising career. He is instructed in a wide variety of mostly high-value claims and regularly acts in claims following fatalities and on behalf of protected parties. His experience includes negligent diagnosis and treatment of cancer, cases involving major operations to almost every internal organ in the human body, undiagnosed or negligently treated spinal cord or brain injuries, as well as negligent orthopaedic treatment such as hip replacements or improperly removed metalwork.
Christopher has particular expertise in claims involving cosmetic surgery, including cosmetic dentistry, and cases with a dramatic cosmetic effect such as facial paralysis. He is instructed in distressing and difficult cases involving negligence in geriatric care or the death of patients who already have significant and life-limiting conditions ranging from dementia to COPD. He has represented many claimants with psychiatric symptoms, including cases involving patients committing suicide after premature discharge from mental health facilities, as well as claimants who have suffered psychiatric injuries.
He is instructed in difficult cases involving MRSA, clostridium difficile and other hospital infections. He has a detailed understanding of the difficult causation and quantum issues inherent in most cases.
Christopher regularly represents families at inquests (see separate tab).
A sample of recent instructions includes:
- Acting for patient whose laryngeal nerves were negligently cut during a thyroidectomy, resulting in serious difficulties and a permanent tracheostomy;
- Acting for plastic surgeons alleged to have negligently performed liposuction;
- Secured settlement after service of proceedings for 17-year-old patient whose symptoms of appendicitis were repeatedly ignored leading to serious peritonitis, resulting in missing A-levels and damage to university and career prospects;
- Acting for patient who suffered serious delay in treatment for TB leading to serious ongoing concerns;
- Acting for a patient who sustained significant burns during a negligently performed NHS surgical procedure, securing an early admission of liability after service of proceedings;
- Advised patient on complicated clinical negligence case in Gibraltar involving multiple alleged failings;
- Acting for a patient who received sub-standard dental treatment following injuries sustained during a road traffic accident whilst being transported in custody;
- Acting for a patient who sustained burns and significant scaring during a negligently performed laser hair removal operation performed by a high street beautician;
- Acting for customer who experienced significant hair loss when a well-known hairdressing chain negligently performed highlights;
- Representing the family of the deceased at an inquest following negligent medical treatment.