Before being called to the Bar, Ian was a solicitor from 1973 to 1987.
Ian Truscott QC has appeared in the European Court of Justice, the House of Lords, the Court of Appeal, the Inner and Outer Houses of the Court of Session, the Employment Appeal Tribunal in Scotland and England, the Central Arbitration Committee and employment tribunals throughout Scotland, England and Northern Ireland.
Employment Tribunal Chair (England & Wales) in Newcastle ET.
Has appeared in the Piper Alpha Inquiry, the Ocean Odyssey Inquiry, the Orkney Inquiry and the Scotland/Northern Ireland Electricity Interconnector Inquiry.
Notable Employment Cases Include:
- Transocean International Resources Ltd & Ors v. T L Russell & Ors, EAT, LTL 4/12/2006
- City of Edinburgh Council v. (1) C Wilkinson & Ors (2) A McLeod & Ors, EAT, LTL 24/12/2009
- Allan J MacDonald v. Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland, EAT, LTL 29/3/2010
- Aegon UK Ltd v. Roberts,  ICR 596, CA, calculation of pension loss
- The Scottish Coal Company v. Employment Appeal Tribunal sub nom Crouch Mining Ltd, IH, [2005CSIH68]
- Prescription Pricing Authority v. Dr John Johnston Ferguson, IH, [2005 CSIH5]
- Dignity Funerals v. William Douglas Bruce, IH, (2005) IRLR 189
- MacDonald v. Advocate General for Scotland: Pearce v. Governing Body of Mayfield School, HL, (2004) 1 All ER 339
- M P B Structures v. Employment Appeal Tribunal sub nom Munro v. M P B Structures Ltd, IH, (2004) ICR 430
- Albion Automotive Ltd v. Graham Walker & 20 Others, CA, LTL 21/6/2002
Co-author, Employment section, Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia
Scottish Editor, Encyclopaedia of Employment Law
2002 to present: Part-time Employment Tribunal Judge (England & Wales); sitting in Newcastle
1993 to 1997: Standing Junior Counsel, Scottish Natural Heritage
1980 to present: Chairman, Employment Law Group of the Law Society of Scotland